Magic Marine launched a partnership to support the fast and active 49er Class. With the event now completed, Magic Marine is happy with the progression and plans with the class.
Teamriders Julien D'Ortoli and Noe Delpech finished 6th overall in the Mens fleet and Annemiek Bekkering and Claire Blom finished 5th in the FX after a convincing win in the final medal race. The brand will extend to support a few additional teams who are displaying professional campaigns and a will to fight until Rio!
A new development in the class is the Magic Marine Starting Points competition. As in most sports, stats are used to attract supporters to help them understand and become closer involved. The Magic Marine Starting Competition uses the GPS Tracking Systems to analyse certain aspects of the start to ultimately decide on who performed best and hopefully highlight the importance of getting a good start!
Using the GPS systems onboard, the boats are judged on a number of key aspects,
• Distance from the line at the gun – all boats that are within 4m of the start line are awarded 1 point.
• Win the pin – the boat which successfully manages to win the pin gains 1 point
• Win the committee boat – the boat who successfully manages to win the boat end, gains one point.
• Port end flyer – should be pretty self-explanatory
• Having a lane at 1 minute – those who have successfully found a clear lane are awarded 1 point.
• Windward mark roundings – The 1st boat to round the top mark gains 5 points, 2nd gains 4 etc.
The points are totaled up and the winner earns the right to wear the green bib during tomorrow’s racing, as well as receiving a gift voucher from sponsors, Magic Marine.
A final video: http://youtu.be/m3bqQfRQl74
All info to be found at: http://49er.org/